Until the advent of technology, buying and selling publicly traded shares of foreign companies in Nigeria was extraordinarily challenging.
Technically, a Nigerian investor must have at least two confirmed accounts in order to trade foreign stocks: a domestic account and a foreign brokerage account. Before international investments can be made from Nigeria, all of these procedures require a great deal of time and documentation.
Nevertheless, technology has improved the situation. Some fintech companies have made it possible to purchase foreign stocks in Nigeria using a SmartPhone or computer with a single click.
You can now buy stocks, Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs), and Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) on your phone. Not only that, but you can also keep an eye on how your portfolio is doing in real time, from anywhere and at any time with a device that can browse the web.
So, how can someone in Nigeria invest in profitable companies in the United States? To buy shares in U.S.-based companies, you don’t need a U.S. passport or to be a U.S. citizen.
Some of the biggest investors in Twitter are investment and mutual fund companies that let foreigners invest wherever they are.
What do stocks mean?
Stocks, which are also called shares or equities, give you a vote and a share of ownership in a company. This means that at the end of a financial year, you get a share of the company’s profit.
Depending on how the platform is set up, the profit could come in the form of cash that is added to your wallet, bonus shares, or rising value.
Is it safe for Nigerians to put their money into foreign stocks?
Before you buy shares in a company, the first thing you should do is make sure that the company is honest and has the right licence to do business.
The Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) said sometime in May 2021 that it was keeping an eye on brokers who sell foreign stocks in Nigeria.
The commission can keep an eye on and regulate stocks that operate in Nigeria. Because of this, it can give licences to companies that sell foreign stocks in Nigeria.
In an interview with Bloomberg, Mr. Dayo Obisan, who is the Executive Commissioner of Operations for the SEC, said that there are rules about foreign investments.
“In a broad sense, all capital market instruments, such as stocks, bonds, units of investment funds, derivatives, etc., can be registered.”
It’s also important to do your own research, ask questions, and find out more about how the investment brokers or partners work and what they do.
We noticed that some of the companies in Nigeria that sell foreign stocks and offer investment services do so by teaming up with brokers in the United States.
Caution: Putting money into stocks is not a way to get rich quickly. And be sure to carefully read the company’s Terms and Conditions.
Why should you purchase international stocks from a digital investment firm?
These internet-based businesses offer investors a safe and secure payment and investment portal. The best aspect is that they are all registered with the CAC, licensed by the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE), and regulated by the SEC.
An investor will be protected from fraudulent online brokerage firms, money transfer issues, and overseas taxation issues if he or she purchases stocks through any of these platforms. Before trading on the U.S. capital market, there are additional country-specific requirements, such as obtaining a valid US visa or green card.
In addition, they facilitate the management of stock portfolios and the withdrawal of dividends.
Best Apps for trading foreign securities in Nigeria
How can foreign stocks be purchased in Nigeria?
Here are six legitimate platforms for trading foreign stocks in Nigeria immediately.
Trove is one of the most effective applications in Nigeria for purchasing foreign stocks. The company enables people to invest as little as $10 or 1,000 NGN in US, Chinese, and Nigerian stocks, ETFs, and bonds.
The investment platform provides Nigerians with global access to a vast array of high-quality equities issued by major corporations such as Amazon, Google, Apple, Facebook, and Netflix. Their objective is to encourage microinvesting.
How to buy shares using Trove app:
- Android and iOS users can download the Trove app from the Google play store or app store, respectively.
- Additionally, you can register via troveapp.co
- Register using your email address.
- Create a secure password.
- Click submit after answering a series of questions about your investment experience.
- Fill out your profile by entering your:
- Personal particulars
- Countrywide and residential data
- Occupation and nearest relative
- Bank account details
- Document submissions
- The documents will consist of a valid identification card, a utility bill such as an electric bill, a photograph of your signature, and a selfie of your face.
- Next, you must add funds to your wallet. There are two wallets: a naira wallet used to purchase Nigerian stocks and bonds and a dollar wallet. The Dollar wallet is used to finance international transactions. This feature is currently unavailable, however. Your dollar pocketbook can only be funded with the naira equivalent.
- Commence trading once your account is verified.
Risevest is a platform that allows digital experts to invest and administer a user’s investment portfolio. This is an opportunity to have world-class stocks of the highest quality hand-picked for your portfolio by skilled professionals.
The selection is based on long-term performance metrics and earning capacity. Additionally, Risevest offers three investment classes to investors: fixed income (pays a fixed quantity of interest for a specified time period), variable income, and alternative investments. Which are advantageous for individuals with a low risk tolerance, real estate and stock investments.
The minimum investment quantity is $10. Risevest charges a management fee based on the yield percentage.
How to buy shares using the Risevest app:
- Download the risevest application or register on their website at risevest.com.
- Register via your email
- Fill out personal details form
- Account is where you can modify your ID verification.
- Add your BVN to the section labeled “bank and cards.”
- Fund your coffers.
- Subscribe to a portfolio of investments via the ‘create plan’ option.
Wealth.ng is Nigeria’s one-stop-shop for purchasing foreign stocks and other investment assets. In addition to equities, the platform provides access to treasury bills, mutual funds, agriculture, and real estate investments. On wealth.ng, investors can also trade ETFs, REITs, local and foreign securities.
How to buy shares using wealth.ng:
- Download the welath.ng app from the iOS App Store or Google Play. The website, www.wealth.ng, is another registration option.
- Register and verify your account details.
- Under ‘KYC’, update your profile information and submit verification documents.
- Verify your BVN
- Complete the section on pecuniary information.
- Fund your digital wallet.
- Go to the investment tab and select “buy” on the product you wish to purchase. It will be added to your shopping cart; then proceed to checkout and pay.
Another secure method of investing in foreign stocks in Nigeria. Passfolio, headquartered in San Francisco, U.S.A., allows up to 170 countries to invest in premium U.S. equities, ETFs, REITs, and USD using their local currency.
Users of Passfolio have a variety of payment options to choose from, which is one of its advantages. The fintech does not charge stock transaction commissions.
Is Passfolio legit?
Yes, Passfolio is governed by the United States Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and is a member of the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) and the Securities Investor Protection Corporation (SIPC). (SIPC).
How to buy shares using Passfolio:
- Download the application or register on the website.
- Complete the section titled “investor profile.”
- Submit your BVN and documents of verification.
- Your account is authorized within twenty-four hours.
- In the event of discrepancies, you may be required to submit additional documentation before your account is validated.
- Transfer funds to your wallet using the “transfer” option.
- Invest in U.S. equities via the ‘trade’ tab.
What are the prerequisites for establishing a Passfolio account?
- You must be at least 18 years old.
- A genuine address in your name is required.
- Must possess a valid form of identification
5. Bamboo finance
Bamboo Access to over 3000 equities and ETFs listed on the U.S. capital market in real time. Bamboo trading begins at $20.
How to invest in the app Bamboo:
- Download the Bamboo application or register at www.investbamboo.com.
- Register with your email address and phone number
- Update your portfolio profile
- Provide a valid identification card or BVN to verify your identity.
- Deposit a minimum of $20 in your account.
- Using the bamboo app, begin trading and manage your investment portfolio.
Chaka is a legitimate online investment platform that enables Nigerian investors to purchase foreign stocks from over 40 countries. The digital investment platform permits foreign investors to purchase Nigerian stocks.
How to purchase stock on the Chaka app:
- Download the Android app from the Google Play Store or use the website at https://chaka.com/.
- Register with your information
- Verify your identity using either your BVN or your bank details.
- Fund your wallet
- Invest in a stock portfolio or utilize the smartinvest feature.
Foreign stock purchases in Nigeria have never been simpler. These technological platforms have enabled Nigerians to buy, trade, and hold foreign stocks using a tech-enabled device from the comfort of their own homes.
No longer required are extensive documentation, cross-border transaction policies, or cumbersome tax protocols. With any of the aforementioned platforms, an investor can rest assured that their funds are secure.
READ ALSO: Loan Apps For Bad Credit Score In Nigeria
Instead of going all in at first, it is advisable to test out one investment platform at a time. You can use a small amount of money to determine which app works best for you and then stay with it.
As with any investment, there are inherent risks, but it is prudent to know your long-term investment objectives and to avoid investing in sloppy-looking companies.
Can I buy American stocks from Nigeria?
Yes, you can buy American stocks from Nigeria. Many international brokerage firms offer services that allow individuals from various countries, including Nigeria, to invest in global markets, including the U.S. stock market.
Which app is best for buying stocks in Nigeria?
There are several reputable apps available for buying stocks in Nigeria. Some popular options include:
- InvestNowNG: It is a mobile app offered by Meristem Securities Limited, a well-known Nigerian brokerage firm.
- Wealth.ng: It is a Nigerian digital wealth management platform that provides access to stocks and other investment opportunities.
- Bamboo: It is a mobile app that allows Nigerians to invest in U.S. stocks, ETFs, and Nigerian stocks.
It’s important to conduct your own research and consider factors such as fees, user experience, security, and available features before choosing an app that suits your needs.
Can I buy foreign stocks from Nigeria?
Yes, you can buy foreign stocks from Nigeria. Many brokerage firms and investment platforms in Nigeria offer the option to invest in foreign stocks, such as stocks listed on U.S. exchanges like the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) or NASDAQ.
Does Robinhood work in Nigeria?
As of my knowledge cutoff in September 2021, Robinhood, a popular U.S.-based brokerage app, was only available to customers within the United States. However, it’s always recommended to check the latest updates directly from Robinhood or contact their customer support to inquire about their availability in Nigeria or any other specific country.